Wednesday, January 18, 2006

John 5:39

“You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me;”

In the midst of a sharp rebuke Jesus utters these words to Jews upset with Him for healing a man on the Sabbath. I am reminded that I can know a lot about God and still not know God. I can even have much of his words committed to memory and still miss the One whom these very words speak. Might it be said that God is not so concerned with what I know but who I know?

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne Gibson said...

I have this innate desire within me to learn so much and yet at the same time I miss so much about what I learn because all I focus on is getting more. Taking time to slow down and appreciate and focus on what I have learned is a hard thing for me.

11:42 AM  
Blogger John Lynch said...

Or could we say, "God's more concerned with HOW I know than WHAT I know"? Perhaps too much of our knowledge of God is in the head & not in the heart? Is that why Paul prays "that the eyes of your hearts may be enlightened" in Eph 1:18?

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home